If you are buying a kayak for the very first time it is very exciting, but there are a lot of things that you need to consider. One of the most frequently asked questions we receive is this…
The answer to this question varies depending on exactly what your paddling goals are, but we’ve found that for most paddlers out there, the benefits of an inflatable kayak win the day.
Inflatable kayaks are the best choice for many reasons. They are very portable, and extremely lightweight. There is an inflatable kayak that is created for every type of kayaker, whether you enjoy easy paddling or whitewater rapids. The prices of inflatable boats are generally cheaper than that of hardshell kayaks, and they are also remarkably tough and durable.
Here are just a few reasons why inflatable kayaks the #1 selling boats on the water today.
- Performance: For the longest time the debate between inflatable kayaks and hardshell kayaks centered on performance, but those days are long gone. The technology and design of today’s inflatable kayaks are state-of-the-art. If you’re willing to spend the same amount of money on an inflatable kayak, you’re going to get one that performs just as well. Check out some of our performance inflatable kayaks here.
- Transportation & Storage: The advantage of easy transporting an inflatable kayak is HUGE! Forget about having to load a heavy kayak onto a cumbersome roof rack. Inflatable kayaks come in a compact transport bag that can easily fit inside almost any car. And storage is just as easy! Unlike hardshell boats, inflatable kayaks do not require an awkward racking solution. Each boat stores easily and will fit in most closets. You can take it up an elevator or simply leave it in the trunk of your car.
- Easy to Use: Inflatable kayaks are easy to setup and easy to use. Simply unroll and inflate. Most paddlers would gladly trade a few extra minutes of inflating their kayak for the easy of transportation. And the learning curve is much easier as well. Forget about the claustrophobic fear of being trapped inside your kayak, or the task of having to learn the Eskimo Roll. If you fall out, you can just hop right back in. But chances are you won’t, because inflatable kayaks are also much more stable!
- Weight: The beauty of an inflatable kayak is that it can hold a few hundred pounds but only weighs a few pounds itself. A two person inflatable kayak can carry not only multiple people, but their equipment as well. Even though the kayak carries so much, only one person is necessary to carry it to the water.
- Versatility: Inflatable kayaks can go just about anywhere. Many people are under the impression that you cannot take an inflatable kayak into whitewater rapids. However, that is not true. In fact, there are many different inflatable kayaks that are created especially for the purpose of whitewater rivers. Check out AIRE inflatable kayaks as an example. You can get single inflatable kayaks, tandem inflatable kayaks, flatwater inflatable kayaks, fishing inflatable kayaks, or whitewater inflatable kayaks!
- Price: In general, you are going to get a lot bigger bang for your buck buying an inflatable kayak vs. a hardshell kayak. You can check out all the price ranges here - Inflatable kayaks by price.
What Is The Bottom Line?
The bottom line is that when you are choosing a kayak for yourself, you need to choose a boat that will suit your needs, your lifestyle and your paddling goals. And no matter what you are looking for, there is an inflatable kayak that is right for you and your budget.
Click here to view all the inflatable kayak options.
We’d love the opportunity to earn your business. We have these inflatable kayaks in stock and ready to ship! When you buy from us you’ll receive:
No Sales Tax
15% off all accessories purchased with a kayak
Have any questions? Let us help.
Email us – firstname.lastname@example.org
Call us – 800-994-4327 Mon-Fri from 7am to 5pm PST